January 24, 2008

The BUSINESS of scrapbooking...

Once upon a time someone gave me a scrapbook. Already started for me. Darn, now I guess I have to learn to scrapbook.

It took me a while to get started, but once I did, I was instantly hooked. I can DO this!

A couple years later I was put in touch with the owner of a new store in town. I must work there.

After a couple of years of working there, I decided to go out on my own with a business concept that I'd been developing in my head. People want to learn to scrapbook. I will go teach them, and I'll bring them the products they'll want to buy.

One class at a time, my little business grew. And they told 5 friends, and so on and so on...

And now it's not so little anymore. Because now there are the crops. And the retreats. First 1 or 2 a year. Now 1 or 2 every month. Who doesn't love to shop where they crop?

Two years ago -- after lots of research, customer feedback, and several prototypes -- the Page Builders Club kits were born. First there were 12. Then 25. Now there are 100 more, and growing every week. Imagine, a magical ziploc bag that can solve all your scrapbooking problems and wipe away that scrapbooking stress!

------------------------

This business was born out of my love of scrapbooking, and spreading the joy of scrapbooking. Scrapbooking is my HOBBY. The Memory Workshop is my JOB. I love what I do, and I have alot of fun with it, but above all it is a business and I treat it that way. Sometimes my JOB takes up time that I otherwise would have spent on my hobby. Customers come first!

I'm often asked about how I started my business -- plus things like: where do I buy products, is there any money in it, etc. There are MANY factors that contribute to a successful scrapbooking business, and probably only 10% have anything to do with scrapbooking. Its the other 90% -- the "business" behind the scenes -- that will have the most impact on your success.

I attribute alot of my success to ScrapBiz. There is a wealth of information at my fingertips, and it is upated continually as the industry grows and changes. Sure, most of it could be found on the internet eventually. But that would take hours and hours and plenty of trial and error. I was able to get alot of things right the first time because the resources were at my fingertips.

No comments:

Don't just sit there...SCRAP SOMETHING!